We have fun!
Our students build meaningful connections in both online and in-person classes—and have even more fun at Elevation, student clubs, and school-sponsored activities throughout the year.
As a parent, you want your student to have meaningful friendships with their peers. You might wonder whether your student is getting enough social interaction, especially in the online classroom. We hear you; we want students to make meaningful connections, too. In fact, WA is unlike most online schools because we encourage students to get out of their comfort zones and connect authentically with each other.
We Are “Burgers”
Since Williamsburg Academy is a Williamsburg Learning school, our students affectionately refer to themselves as “Burgers” (short for Williamsburgers). Ask any Burger, and they’ll tell you they have developed close relationships with their classmates—including those they have never met in person. Our blend of online and in-person activities help students bond, create long-lasting friendships, and build mutual respect for each other.
Links to WA’s online events, plus a calendar of all student activities, can be found in your student’s Homeroom course in Canvas.
Click below to learn more about the activities and resources available to WA students:
Click below to learn more about activities and resources available to WA students:
- Inspiration Hour – This event is held on most Fridays at 1:00 PM MT and features talks on a variety of inspirational and educational topics. Presenters include members of our own student body, mentors, other staff, and guests. Inspiration Hour is hosted by our Leadership Program Leader and Student Body Leaders. This event is mainly designed for high school students, but middle school students are also invited to attend a few times each year. Students can find invitations to attend Inspiration Hour in Homeroom.
- First Friday Game Night – This activity is held on the first Friday of each month from 6–7:30 PM MT, and is hosted by a WA mentor. This activity is designed specifically for middle school students. The link to join can be found in Homeroom.
- Thursday Night Live – This activity is held on the second and fourth Thursdays of the month. Students get together to play games online. This activity is hosted by our Student Support Specialist. It’s designed specifically for high school students.
Links to Canvas login:
- Burger Meets – These activities are held once or twice quarterly and are planned by the Student Body Leadership (SBL) team. These are in-person, fun, and low-cost activities held in various areas as determined by the SBL team. A minimum of two parents must attend each planned event. These events are intended to be self-funded. These are not official school events.
- Elevation – Elevation is a five-day camping experience provided by Williamsburg Learning where students challenge themselves physically and emotionally while connecting with their peers. For many students, this is unlike anything they have ever experienced or will experience in their lives. The student bond that is created during Elevation is truly transformational. This is an official Williamsburg Learning course that fills a one-half credit of PE or Elective for your student’s high school graduation requirements. Participants must be at least fourteen years old to attend. See this page for more details.
- Shakespeare Trip – This is an official Williamsburg Learning course that takes place in Cedar City, UT. It is a four-day Shakespeare Festival experience. This course fills a one-half credit of Fine Arts or Elective for your student’s high school graduation requirements. Participants must be at least fourteen years old to attend. Details about this experience are announced each fall.
- Student Elections – High school students who meet certain eligibility requirements can run for a position in our high school Student Body Presidency or Student Body Leadership Team.
- Student Clubs – Multiple clubs are formed each year, inspired by student ideas and interests. Each club is supervised by a mentor. Students are responsible for meeting certain requirements to form clubs, as listed in Homeroom.
- Student Newspaper – The Burger Gazette is our student newspaper. It contains student articles written by members of the Burger Gazette Club, which is supervised by our Language Arts Program Leader.
- Student Store – Students can find a “Burger Swag” link in Homeroom to buy merchandise featuring our school brand and other student-inspired designs.
- Yearbook – Each year, students submit photos in a Homeroom assignment to be used in the Williamsburg Learning yearbook. The yearbook includes all Williamsburg Learning students, regardless of their school (Williamsburg Academy, LAU, and other charter schools and districts). To access the yearbook, students create a TreeRing account which allows them to see the yearbook, view pricing, create custom pages, and order a yearbook. Yearbooks are shipped directly to your home.
- Student Support – Contact our Student Support Specialist if your student is struggling and could use extra assistance with academic, social, or time management skills.