Why Take This Course?
Independent PE Courses allow you to earn academic credit for the extra-curricular activities you are already doing. Students often put in long hours practicing individual or team sports or doing martial arts. If you are willing to log your time and meet certain requirements, you can receive credit for your work!
What are the Requirements and How Does It Work?
- Register for an independent course in the area where you want to earn credit. (See list below.) You cannot receive credit for work completed before or after the semester in which you take the independent course.
- Log 60 hours of practice/performance during the semester.
- Complete 4 brief reports, one for every 15 hours of practice/performance.
- Receive instruction at least four times from a person who is qualified as a professional in the field (high school coaches, construction contractors, martial arts instructors, piano teachers, etc.).
- Submit your instructor’s contact information so we can contact him or her to confirm.
Students will register for one of the specific PE courses listed below. If a student wants to participate in an activity not listed, she or he must first get approval from the Headmaster and from the mentor advising the course.
|Course Category||Specific Course|
|Team Sports||Football, Soccer, Rugby, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Lacrosse, Volleyball, Water Polo
For any sport not listed, just enroll in the generic Team Sports course.
|Individual Sports||Martial Arts (includes all forms), Tennis, Golf, Track & Field, Wrestling, Rodeo, Swimming, Skateboarding, Surfing, Fencing, Bowling, Figure Skating, Yoga, Rock Climbing, Mountain Climbing, Hiking, Running, Paintball, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Road Biking, Shooting, Motor Sports, Snowboarding, Skiing
For any sport not listed, just enroll in the generic Individual Sports course.
- Recommended Grade: 9th (Freshman), 10th (Sophomore), 11th (Junior), 12th (Senior)
- Prerequisites: None
- Versions & Estimated Weekly Hours: 4
- Format: Self-paced
- Credits: 0.5, Pass/fail