Why Take This Course?
Learning math is more than working with numbers—math gives you the tools to be an awesome problem-solver and critical thinker in every area of your life. In this course, you’ll study tools to help you learn the language of math and how to make sense of it, including equations, linearity, functions, congruence and similarity, geometric transformations, and exponents. You will also get to dig into the works of historical math masters including Euclid, who will teach you the skills to win any argument and become a logic ninja.
Math 1A Course Framework
|Section 1||Section 2||Section 3||Section 4|
|Solving equations & inequalities||Sequences||Analytic geometry||Geometry transformations
|Linear equations & graphs||Working with units||Linear equations & graphs||Congruence
|Functions||Linear equations & graphs||Linear word problems||Rational exponents & radicals
Texts and Materials Students Must Purchase
- Euclid, Dana Densmore, T. L. Heath - "Euclid's Elements" - Provided by WL
- Students must create an account in Khan Academy and add Williamsburg Academy as their coach.
- Students taking the self-paced or independent version of this course do not need to purchase any texts or materials.
- Recommended Grade: 9th (Freshman), 10th (Sophomore)
- Prerequisites: 8th Grade Math B - or Pre-Algebra B
- Versions & Estimated Weekly Hours: 7*
- Format: Live / Self-Paced / Independent
- Credits: 0.5
*Math students will spend four hours in live workshops with a mentor or tutor and an estimated 30 minutes a day practicing math.