As our students wind up their school year and approach graduation, it seems appropriate to focus on another of Williamsburg’s Six Mentor Practices: engaging presentation.
How do we keep students engaged when it’s spring, nearly the end of the school year, and easy for them to choose not to log into their computers? We use compelling hooks, visuals, stories, personal touches, slides, and nonverbal communication to entice learning. Here are a few examples of how we use this practice in the classroom:
- All of our live classes begin with an introduction that piques student interest.
- We display compelling visuals throughout class to keep students engaged.
- WL mentors intentionally and consistently bring stories into their lessons since humans are hardwired to engage with this form of communication.
- We allow our mentors to bring in personal touches to improve their presentations.
- Our slides provide direction to the class but don’t own the lesson. We purposefully train our mentors to create slides with a clear and unique purpose. Mentors move through them but allow plenty of time for discussion.
Executive Director, Williamsburg Academy
Fall registration is open! Please visit this page for information about registering through a partner school or district, or this page for registering as a private pay family for 2022-23. If you have any questions about registration, please call our Support Team at 800-200-6869.
Today: Student Body Presidency Election Roundtable at 1:00 PM MT
Today: Burger Meet in Lindsey, California – Click here to learn more
April 26-29: Student Body Presidency Elections in Homeroom
April 28: Thursday Night Live at 4:00 PM MT
April 29: Special Online Event at 1:00 PM MT – “How to Flirt” with Ross Gilbert and Pete Jensen
May 3: Pleasant Grove ILC Field Trip at Quail Cove Park from 11 AM-3 PM MT
May 6: Inspiration Hour at 1:00 PM MT
May 6: First Friday Game Night at 6:00 PM MT
May 24: Lagoon Day in Farmington, Utah – Learn more and sign up here
P.S. Are you having a great experience at Williamsburg and want to help us spread the word? If so, we’d love to have you leave us a review on Niche or GreatSchools (or both!) to help new families find us. If your experience with us has been anything less than ideal, please call us at 800-200-6869.
P.S. Are you having a great experience at LAU and want to help us spread the word? If so, we’d love to have you leave us a review on Niche or GreatSchools (or both!) to help new families find us. If your experience with us has been anything less than ideal, please call us at 800-200-6869.